The unique Udet U 11 Kondor was developed in 1925 for Deutsche Aero Lloyd, an airline in search of an 8-passenger plane capable of flying over the Alpes.
A high wing monoplane with all-metal fuselage was powered by four Siemens-Halske Sh.12 air-cooled pusher engines (92 hp). The passenger cabin was spacious, 3.90 m long, 1.6 m wide and 2.0 m high. There were also a luggage compartment and toilet. Pilot and navigator were seated in an enclosed cabin, with an open cockpit for the observer. Top speed was 160 km/h (at 2,000 m), cruising speed 135 km/h, maximal range 520 km. The U 11 made its maiden flight on January 19, 1926, with Harry Rother at the controls. The plane appeared underpowered, too heavy for its engines. Its prospective buyer, already merged with Junkers Luftverkehr AG into Luft Hansa, preferred more powerful Junkers G 23/24 trimotors. However, after a series of tests with the DVL (German Aviation Laboratory) the U 11 joined Luft Hansa fleet as an experimental aircraft. In 1928, it has been seriously damaged as a result of emergency landing and never flew again. The Udet Kondor has a distinction of being the first quadrimotor flown by Luft Hansa.
The Aldred building and the towers of Notre-Dame basilica Photo by MartinMtl @ skyscrapercity.com
The Aldred Building, designed by Ernest Isbell Barott, of the firm Barott and Blackader, was Montreal's first skyscraper. Its construction demonstrated several significant events: the shift from classical detailing to a modern style free of historical reference; the beginning of the age of skyscrapers in Montreal; a new type of building structure, the use of new materials, and the introduction of modern services; and the extravagance and economic success of the 1920s. Commencing construction on July 20, 1929, in the prime of the ‘roaring twenties’, it was fortunate that work on the Aldred Building continued despite the historical stock market crash three months later. Upon completion in 1931, the building was described by the Montreal Gazette as "graceful and dignified, one of the most beautiful structures in the city". Presently overwhelmed in height by modern skyscrapers, in its day the Aldred Building was a beacon, towering over Montreal (source).
A French table clock manufactured by the Compagnie Industrielle de Mécanique Horlogère which used the trademark “JAZ” from 1919 to 1941. This clock belongs to an art deco line launched in 1934. Its body swivels horizontally.
The Bílá labuť (White Swan) department store in Prague was built in 1937-1939, designed by architects Josef Hrubý and Josef Kittrich. Atop the three-storey tower extension with a terrace was an 8-metre rotating neon swan designed by graphic artist Božidar Leiser.
The machine gun is a Vickers Berthier (an unsuccesful BREN competitor). The front area of the Carden Loyd MG Carrier was armoured and the mounting could be folded up to allow the driver to fire the gun from the vehicle. The tractor was fitted with 4-cyl. gasoline engine and 5-speed gearbox. In its regular guise it was a humble workhorse:
The Zep Diner in Los Angeles, California was part of the airship craze of the 1920′s and 1930′s. The Graf Zeppelin visited Los Angeles during its 1929 Round-the-World flight, and the most famous American dirigible was the U.S.S. Los Angeles. The Zep Diner was located at 515 W. Florence Avenue in Los Angeles, near the intersection with S. Figueroa. The location is now the parking lot of a McDonald’s.
This large quadrimotor flying boat, a joint venture of Caproni and Reggiane (usually listed as Ca.8000), was designed during WWII, intended for transatlantic passenger / mail service. The project has been aborted in 1944.
In 1937 Delage, Delahaye and STAS decided to created a closed Grand Prix car. Louis Delage had his engineer Albert Lory build a new 4.5 liter prototype engine on a Delahaye 135 chassis. Fitted was a spectacular body that was designed by Jean Andreau. His wooden model was then sent to the workshop of Carroserrie Labourdette where Jean Henri Labourdette manufactured the body and used his patented Vutotal glass windshield. As #4, it participated in the 1937 French Grand Prix, but was damaged during practice. It was then repaired and repainted in two-tone for the Paris Auto Show. Afterwards its body was removed for more standard coachwork. The new body debuted at Brooklands but was destroyed in a lethal crash.
A medium wave crystal radio receiver, manufactured by Heliogen in Germany 1935
The coil of wire (left) is the tuning coil. It is wound in a "basket-weave" pattern to reduce resistance at radio frequencies. In front of it in the glass tube is the cat's whisker detector, consisting of a crystal of galena touched by a fine wire, which extracts the audio signal from the radio frequency carrier wave. In front of that is the tuning nob, connected to an adjustable capacitor which is used to tune in different stations.